Sunday, March 3, 2013

Who am I? Why am I here?

By Bill Blackburn

My name is Bill Blackburn, and you guessed it --I'm a photographer. I live in Golden, Colorado, and I do a lot of costume, or cosplay photography. I am a member of the 501st Legion, the Rebel Legion and the Rocky Mountain Fan Force. I do a lot of "trooping," or costumed events, so that is a large part of my work.

I also love to do portraiture, scenic, travel, wedding and event photography.

I got a Bachelor's degree in Freelance Photojournalism from Metropolitan State College of Denver in 2008. I am working on finishing up an Associates's of Arts in Digital Media Journalism at Red Rocks Community College, and should graduate in May 2013.

Most of my training is in photojournalism, but I have since branched into studio and on-location portraiture.

I'll be covering a lot of things in this blog, ranging from advice and how-to articles, to posts about recent troops, photo shoots and anything else that I can talk about. I am currently taking a Videography class, so expect to see some videos as well.





In some ways, we're a normal Colorado family. We love the outdoors.


We enjoy our family.


But, we're not exactly normal.


Ok, maybe not very normal at all.


We live full time in a fifth wheel RV.


We volunteer a lot, including at the Clear Creek History Center, where my wife home schools our kids in an 1800s school house.


We love going to museums. In this case, it is the Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum.


 We love all things geek: Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Stargate, etc.




 I wear costumes. This one is an X-Wing Pilot from the original Star Wars movies.


And I love to wear kilts. 



So, I'm not your every day photographer, and this will definitely not be the every day photography blog. I'll try to keep it light, fun and interesting. I hope you enjoy the ride.


5 comments:

  1. I like the simple design you went with for your blog. Too many colors in the background would have taken away from the impact of the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rob. That was the goal: Keep it simple, silly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the design and layout of your blog... It is accessible and easy to navigate with a nice combination of personal, informative, and fun information... Really like your photos- you are right this is not your normal photography blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if my last comment published or not, so I apologize if this is redundant... I really like the layout and design of your blog- it is easy to navigate and has a great combination of personal information, informative tidbits (or in-depth as with the what digital photo to get), and just darn entertaining stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill!!! Ben from Jou225. I freaking love your blog man. The content is super fun and you yourself create such a personal touch with your interaction that the reader really gets to know you. I think the layout is perfect, simple enough to navigate with ease yet exciting enough you want to remain engaged. Bravo and cheers
    Ben

    ReplyDelete